How to get mlmodern (recent texlive package) to work?

Hello, I’m not exactly new to tectonic although I haven’t used it in quite a long time. Pleased to see the recent changes such as the V2 API.

I was trying to get the mlmodern package/font to work with tectonic, however it says:

error: terminal input forbidden

My guess here (Not a guess anymore, the log confirms it) is that tectonic is unable to download mlmodern (a quite recent addition to texlive) and then LaTeX asks for the location of “mlmodern.sty” file; because this requires console input, tectonic throws an error. So my question is: how can I get this package to work in tectonic?

I’m not sure what the easiest way is, see my answer here: The texlive bundle wasn't updated since 2018? - #10 by PHPirates
I would probably try to provide a local tarball myself. But really, this is a Tectonic design decision to provide old LaTeX packages.

Yeah well my options are to wait for the author of mlmodern to release OpenType fonts (it’s been a year since he released the font, so I’m not sure it will ever happen) or to create them myself.